Capture The Flag

Talk about avatars, crosshairs, mods, skins and share them !

Moderator: English Moderator

Dimrain

Capture The Flag

Post by Dimrain »

Hey everybody,

I guess I'm not the first one with this idea, but I imagine how beautiful a mode called "CTF" - a simple capture the flag game, would be. I regret that I have absolutely no know-how in making modes, but after I saw how fast the mode "Jailbreak" was developed, I hope somebody who is able to do this, want to try it!
A good guideline could be warzone from wow. Its rules would fit also great in my imagined mode.
> 2 teams, 2 bases
> get the flag from the enemy's base and put it down in your base, while your own flag is there
> if the flag carrier is shot, the flag drops where he dies
> the flag can kept again by one team, to score by bringing into the base
> the flag can brought back to the base by the other team, when they touch it

Detailed rules can be made then, things as
- how much points each team needs to win
- how much flags can be carried at the same time
- 1 or 2 hits to kill
- ... and so on

I hope, I posted correct in this area, I hope, i didn't steal somebody's idea, and I hope some good guys will come here together to create a great game mode!
So... have fun :3

Dimrain
Last edited by Dimrain on 19 Jul 2012, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
kalstrams

Re: Capture The Flag

Post by kalstrams »

World of Warcraft cannot be a guideline in any player verse player matter.

The real guidelines for CTF are games like Quake or Unreal Tournament.
Dimrain

Post by Dimrain »

yes, of course i know that.
i just wanted to give some people an image in their heads, so they can imagine. it wasn't meant to copy all the system.
but, serious? this is your best answer to my topic?
kalstrams

Post by kalstrams »

I did not look for a question in you topic to be answered. I gave you my opinion on what you have said, thus your statement is not an accurate one, to apply and an approximation of MMORPG adapted CTF mode from FPS, instead of giving people an example of a source instead. The more modifications we go through, the less product will be like original. The less it is like the original, the less is the chance of success for an unprofessional developer.

Also, CTF has been discussed in at 3-5 topics already. In the suggestion section. Specific elements can be coded around to make the mode real right now, and there actually is someone who has done it. Yet more wise will be to receive developers support, to have some specific code snippets and objects/elements hardcoded in the game itself ?

I hope this answer is good enough for you, my young warrior.
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Post by Omnixor »

kalstrams wrote:The less it is like the original, the less is the chance of success for an unprofessional developer.
And what makes you think so? :?
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
kalstrams

Post by kalstrams »

It is easier to replicate than to invent. The rest is simple - teen who is good at school's IT classes, or even an undergrad. IT student will never do as good as a person with industry experience. With VERY rare exceptions.

Thus that, for making a CTF, it is better to have a pre-made example, because we have nothing, so far, in this game, to rip CTF off.
Dimrain

Post by Dimrain »

kalstrams wrote:I hope this answer is good enough for you, my young warrior.
hahaha, yes it is :D thanks alot sir.
and yes, you are right. but isn't that usual everywhere, that ppl with more/better experience in a specific subject are good in their subject? so yes, of course there are some ppl better qualified to make this CTF mode, and there are some who haven't this know-how. I wanted to find some dudes here who are fascinated of a CTF mode and so this mode will come into the game. I'm sure the mode will come into SM, independant of my forum post.
I'm looking forward to that! Thats the most exciting thing imo about SM - new modes, produced by the users :)
coolsnake

Post by coolsnake »

You're in luck, CTF already exists, TGYoshi made it, there is no server with it running now though for as far as I can tell.

I'm not entirely sure what the specific rules were.
kalstrams

Post by kalstrams »

It is not a proper CTF. Thus CTF always features object. What that guy made is not really an object, it is a script workaround. On his script it is difficult to make some mods that take roots in CTF, therefore it will be better if we get a developer made CTF and an appropriate functionality in scripting.

Return to “Workbench”