How to matchmaking

Moderator: NADEO

novationx

Re: How to matchmaking

Post by novationx »

What about this annoying bug which actually happens quite often:

You get matched and you connect to the matchserver.
The matchserver is waiting 45/60seconds until all 6 players are connected. The match starts.
When a player votes to skip a map/mapchange we have to wait AGAIN this full 45/60seconds for the last player.

It"s not really a bug, but it can be very annoying. When this happens all 5 waiting players will complain in the chat.

A fix is welcome! Please also remove the remaining stats of a previous match. Whenever I start a new match I see "most dodges by : randomplayerofanothermatch" Its unclean.
The neverending waiting game has to stop.
Eole
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Eole »

novationx wrote:You get matched and you connect to the matchserver.
The matchserver is waiting 45/60seconds until all 6 players are connected. The match starts.
When a player votes to skip a map/mapchange we have to wait AGAIN this full 45/60seconds for the last player.
You're lucky, fixing the previous issue also fixed this one. ;)
novationx wrote:A fix is welcome! Please also remove the remaining stats of a previous match. Whenever I start a new match I see "most dodges by : randomplayerofanothermatch" Its unclean.
This one is fixed too.
Contribute to the ManiaPlanet documentation on GitHub
A question about ManiaScript? Ask it here!
novationx

Post by novationx »

Nice! :thumbsup: Everything gets fixed that I report here! So lets report some more! :lol: :lol:

--------------------------

Problem
When a substitute joins a match and its already 7-7 and he ends up playing 2 rounds... Then he should lose/win less LP compared to the other players who played the entire match.

Example
Yesterday I joined as a substitute , played 2 rounds, lost the match and every player lost -60.47LP. It didnt feel fair because I hardly played.

Solution
Keep track of how much rounds a player plays.
Imagine that a match lasted 20rounds; the LP gets calculated & then you could do this:

Full match player: 60LP WON / 20 rounds total * 20rounds played = +60LP
Substitute player : 40LP WON / 20 rounds total * 4rounds played = +8LP

------------------------------

Notifications in the lobby:

When a player joins his match: Player left the server.
When a player leaves the lobby ( disconnect ) : Player left the server.

Its unimportant but maybe we should change it to "Player got matched."

or even better would be no notification, because in the chat you can see who's joining matches.

------------------------------

Question: All these fixes, are they already implemented or do we have to wait for the update? Matchmaking feels better now, but I wanna know for sure ^^
Last edited by novationx on 03 Jul 2014, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
magnetik
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by magnetik »

novationx wrote: Question: All these fixes, are they already implemented or do we have to wait for the update? Matchmaking feels better now, but I wanna know for sure ^^
The algorithm have been updated as it's on our server. When Eole answer that he has fixed something, it's in the script, so it will be fixed in next server update.
ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...) -- contribute!
w1lla

Post by w1lla »

Error:

https://github.com/maniaplanet/game-mod ... .txt#L5492

Code: Select all

Script compilation failed: ERROR[Modes/ShootMania/ModeMatchmaking.Script.txt : 5
492, 30] Function Ladder_SetMatchMakingMatchId not found
Script compilation failed.
Happens when starting Elite without matchmaking
TM² Info
SM Info
QM Info

MB: MSI 970A-G46
Processor: AMD FX-6300 3500 mHz
RAM Memory: 16 GB DDR3
Video: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
KB: Logitech G510s
Mouse: Logitech G300s
Mode Creation
ManiaScript Docs
Eole
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Eole »

w1lla wrote:Error:

https://github.com/maniaplanet/game-mod ... .txt#L5492

Code: Select all

Script compilation failed: ERROR[Modes/ShootMania/ModeMatchmaking.Script.txt : 5
492, 30] Function Ladder_SetMatchMakingMatchId not found
Script compilation failed.
Happens when starting Elite without matchmaking
The dedicated server need to be updated before you can use the latest Elite script with it.
Contribute to the ManiaPlanet documentation on GitHub
A question about ManiaScript? Ask it here!
novationx

Post by novationx »

suggestion:

When you are selected as a sub and you get the option to cancel ---> display the score of the match.

If its 2-2 I like to sub.
If its 7-1 ... yeah... Nobody likes to sub.

Its a suggestion to improve the player-happyness.

"You are selected to be substitute in a match ( 7-1 ). Press F6 to cancel."
r4yb4d

Post by r4yb4d »

I am having problems getting a 100k Elite matchmaking server and lobby functioning. The lobby works but matchmaking in progress never sends players to a match server. I have 3 match servers and one 100k ladder lobby.
All players were enchelon 8 and 9. Can someone post working dedicated configs and matchmaking files without credentials so I can compare with what I have? I cannot find an error in the logs.

I do have the lobby and match servers linked in my player page. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
magnetik
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by magnetik »

- Could you confirm that you are not trying to run the lobby with ManiaLive (as it's the old way to do this).
- Have you been on the player page as added the matchserver logins to the lobby (as match server) ?
- The only required settings are S_MatchmakingMode to 1 on the lobby, and S_MatchmakingMode to 2 on the match server.

Full guide here.
ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...) -- contribute!
r4yb4d

Post by r4yb4d »

As far as I can tell, I am not using ManiaLive. One thing I can notice is the lobby will be listed as an elite lobby but then get listed as an elite after awhile. When in the lobby, the manage server options have practice mode and other unusual setting options listed.

On the player page I have set up the lobby as a lobby and 3 other always hidden servers as match servers.
The lobby and match servers are added to the dedicated server list of the player page.
Matchmaking mode is set to 1 for the lobby and 2 for the match servers in the SMStormElite.txt files.
In addition, I changed the default settings directly in the ModeMatchmaking.txt script for each server to see if it would help.
magnetik wrote:- Could you confirm that you are not trying to run the lobby with ManiaLive (as it's the old way to do this).
- Have you been on the player page as added the matchserver logins to the lobby (as match server) ?
- The only required settings are S_MatchmakingMode to 1 on the lobby, and S_MatchmakingMode to 2 on the match server.

Full guide here.

Return to “Dedicated Server”