Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

User avatar
flidd
Posts: 70
Joined: 16 Aug 2011, 22:21

Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

Post by flidd » 08 Mar 2013, 18:10

Why so many blank grey cars in multiplayer on TM2 stadium? And TMUF for that matter? I have the full paid for version.

User avatar
SuperP
Posts: 184
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 22:16

Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

Post by SuperP » 08 Mar 2013, 18:52

Because thats how this ugly system works. It's based on p2p and locators. If u use a custom skin and enter on a server with 100 people, all those players have to download the data from u, the same goes for them, ur pc has to download the data from them in order to see the skin that they use. So if u have a slow connection, u have to use locators to speed this process. I know its kinda dumb but it works like that. i always hated this, despite all the love i got for nadeo.

User avatar
steeffeen
Translator
Translator
Posts: 2472
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 16:22
Location: Germany

Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

Post by steeffeen » 08 Mar 2013, 19:07

SuperP wrote:Because thats how this ugly system works. It's based on p2p and locators. If u use a custom skin and enter on a server with 100 people, all those players have to download the data from u, the same goes for them, ur pc has to download the data from them in order to see the skin that they use. So if u have a slow connection, u have to use locators to speed this process. I know its kinda dumb but it works like that. i always hated this, despite all the love i got for nadeo.
how should it works differently??
that you get the skins sent via usb stick?
    Game Mode and Title Pack Creator, Developer, ShootMania-Player & more

    ManiaControl, FancyManiaLinks

    MrA
    Posts: 525
    Joined: 15 Jun 2010, 17:10

    Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

    Post by MrA » 08 Mar 2013, 19:36

    The default nation appears to be 'none' , I think its likely that many players have just not selected a national skin, I did not think to do it at first either. But as all those files are present as part of the installation, p2p should not be the problem.
    Enjoying TMOne

    User avatar
    Ozon
    Posts: 969
    Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 13:12
    Contact:

    Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

    Post by Ozon » 08 Mar 2013, 20:28

    steeffeen wrote:
    SuperP wrote:Because thats how this ugly system works. It's based on p2p and locators. If u use a custom skin and enter on a server with 100 people, all those players have to download the data from u, the same goes for them, ur pc has to download the data from them in order to see the skin that they use. So if u have a slow connection, u have to use locators to speed this process. I know its kinda dumb but it works like that. i always hated this, despite all the love i got for nadeo.
    how should it works differently??
    that you get the skins sent via usb stick?
    :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:
    Image
    ManiaExchange Lead Developer, video person and experienced project organizer.
    Discord: Ozon#0359 · MX · Adventcalendar resources · TM-Tube is back

    User avatar
    flidd
    Posts: 70
    Joined: 16 Aug 2011, 22:21

    Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

    Post by flidd » 08 Mar 2013, 20:32

    I've got a 30mb fibre connection so that isn't the issue. Just wish all these noobs would play the game properly and use the correct locators.
    Last edited by flidd on 09 Mar 2013, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

    User avatar
    Alter-Fox
    Posts: 515
    Joined: 17 Jun 2010, 16:50
    Location: legitimate definitely i be total earthling

    Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

    Post by Alter-Fox » 08 Mar 2013, 20:50

    Hey. There is no proper way to play a game. It's recreation, and by definition it's not serious (unless you're in a league, I guess, but that's only serious within the league. You can't generalize the seriousness to outside the league and I'm sidetracking again.) There are already some people in this community, just like in every community, who try to force their opinions onto everyone else. Don't become one of them.
    Personally I'd much rather play the game than troubleshoot why my locators have stopped working. The only remarkable thing about the skins I use is the bizzare names I give them, after all. I like them but that's only because of self-bias.

    Peer2peer is a server-side option and many servers, especially the more popular ones, have it turned off to reduce the load on slower connections. So in most places the only way to get your custom car skin shown is through a locator. And locators are a tedious process to go through for every car you paint.
    Also, if you're calling somebody a noob you'd better be prepared to prove you've been playing for longer! :P Someone might call you out on it!
    The eyes of the plush lobster stared deep into my soul. I picked it up, and then I was a panther.
    Beware my original music at https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, & https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
    Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

    User avatar
    Ozon
    Posts: 969
    Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 13:12
    Contact:

    Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

    Post by Ozon » 08 Mar 2013, 21:35

    flidd wrote:I've got a 30mb fibre connection so that isn't the issue. Just wish all these noobs would play the game properly.
    Be patient, when having played tm or sm for some weeks, you'll experience this 'issue' less often.

    The skins and stuff which have to be downloaded will gather in your cache on your harddrive.
    Image
    ManiaExchange Lead Developer, video person and experienced project organizer.
    Discord: Ozon#0359 · MX · Adventcalendar resources · TM-Tube is back

    User avatar
    flidd
    Posts: 70
    Joined: 16 Aug 2011, 22:21

    Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

    Post by flidd » 09 Mar 2013, 02:12

    I've been playing TMUF for years (17th on the UK ladder) and TM2 Canyon since the day it came out and now TM2 Stadium and have the grey car issue in all 3 games. It really kind of spoils the experience. I also use a custom car skin in TMUF and have asked other players if my skin is visible to them which it is, apparently. In a server where there is maybe 12 players, perhaps half of them have grey cars. The custom track graphics load fine and some players cars seem to load fine too. Maybe Nadeo should implement a default skin if custom locators or skins aren't loading, rather than the bland grey blank car.

    User avatar
    Alter-Fox
    Posts: 515
    Joined: 17 Jun 2010, 16:50
    Location: legitimate definitely i be total earthling

    Re: Blank grey cars in multiplayer?

    Post by Alter-Fox » 09 Mar 2013, 19:19

    flidd wrote:Maybe Nadeo should implement a default skin if custom locators or skins aren't loading, rather than the bland grey blank car.
    That's a pretty good idea. Where do we put suggestions now that the suggestions board is gone? :P
    I think TMO actually did that back in 2003/2004. But I was only building tracks back then, I didn't play online until 2008 in TMNF (getting bored of TMNF so many years ago when I couldn't buy TMUF -- until I managed to get very lucky a year and a half later -- is the reason I still dislike stadium 1 so much). Boredom is a powerful emotion. But the only person who seems to agree with me about that is fictional :( .
    The eyes of the plush lobster stared deep into my soul. I picked it up, and then I was a panther.
    Beware my original music at https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, & https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
    Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

    Post Reply

    Return to “Trackmania 2”

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests