*can not edit item because it is embedded into the map file*?

Talk about the track editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

DocRBP

*can not edit item because it is embedded into the map file*?

Post by DocRBP »

Is there any way to get around this?

Some of the custom items im working on are not finished yet but because i put them on the map (for meassurement references etc) and saved the map (without validating it) i can no longer edit them. Also, for some reason my items ended up in the crash log folder
(that could have been a problem on my part though, but just pointing it out).

edit: kind of realized this sounds more like a bug report but at the same time this is an intentional function i believe, so not really a bug per se(except for maybe the last part).

edit 2: removing the only instance of a block from a map seems to count it as not embedded again. I never ran into this before when working on a map during multiple saves/loads so no idea why this happens.
Need for steed Horse wanted (not really)
DrownLies

Re: *can not edit item because it is embedded into the map file*?

Post by DrownLies »

I think that your items ended up in the crash log folder is because there was a problem with them. Maybe you made a mistake when creating them?
You probably need to fix them and put them back in the original folder in order to edit them again on your map.

In a past update item embedding got turned on by default. If you want to deactivate it you can find it in 'Unlock experimental features'. But I guess as soon as the items are back in the original folder you can edit them on your map again. Alternatively, if item embedding is disabled maniaplanet can search for the items in your items folder once you open the map again.
mGuy

Post by mGuy »

That message appears when you are trying to edit embedded item. If you have created that item, it may be that you changed directory of it but saved map with previous directory, that's why it is embedded in map file but you can't edit it. It should be visible at the end of item list in editor even tho there is a bug with their visibility once you open mesh modeler (see this post : viewtopic.php?f=663&t=46307). If item is part of the titlepack, you can access it via "import mesh" feature in mesh modeler by simply looking its directory in the list. Some titlepacks doesn't have that ability. If it's none of that and your item is in correct directory but you again can't access it, then I would call it a bug and suggest you to report it here on forum with attaching that item and recording the process :) Good luck !
»»m-Guy««

Also known as : sorrow , metal_guy_21 , metal_guy_22

Twitch : m-Guy's Twitch channel
Discord : m-Guy #2789
Youtube : m-Guy's Youtube channel
Maniaplanet username : sorrowcroatia1996
DocRBP

Post by DocRBP »

thanks for the replies! .

I managed to sort it out(edit 2) and now i can work on them again, but this is still very handy to know about :) .
Need for steed Horse wanted (not really)

Return to “Track Editor”