[MP Shoot video] Very Fast too bright : MBlur+FXAA>9x

Moderator: NADEO

eyebo
Translator
Translator

[MP Shoot video] Very Fast too bright : MBlur+FXAA>9x

Post by eyebo »

If I render a video from the replay editor while on "Very Fast" preset, the video will always be too bright. It doesn't matter which ManiaPlanet game it is. I've tested Canyon, ShootMania Storm, and Stadium.

Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFucZsnndA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_i4IXnozs

The game looks fine while track editing, driving, editing replays, etc.

But as soon as the video starts rendering, it's too bright. It shows up this bright in the preview window. And it is this bright whether I use XviD, Lagarith, or uncompressed. So this doesn't seem to be a codec issue.

The same problem occurs when trying to render screenshots from the replay editor.

Normally I use "Very High" preset when making videos and it looks fine.

However, I normally play the game on "Very Fast" preset because I enjoy the higher framerate while playing. And sometimes I want to render out a quick clip to show someone something without having to restart the game. It would be nice if the video had the correct brightness in these scenarios.

My GPU drivers version is 314.07. You can find the rest of my system info in my signature.

This might be something specific to my setup, although it used to work fine for me.

I've had two or three other people test this and I haven't found anyone who has the same problem.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
TMarc

Re: Rendered video on "Very Fast" preset is too bright

Post by TMarc »

This reminds me of the change of light intensity when I'm using the editor, when the camera is inside a block or terrain :?
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

Yeah, it looks similar, but I don't think it's related.

What's really interesting about this bug is that I had a similar bug during the Canyon private beta in 2011. The only difference is that back then the game was making videos and screenshots too dark (on "very fast" preset) instead of too bright. The developers fixed it though and I didn't have any more problems with it for a long time.

I've experienced this current bug since at least December 2012, and maybe a little earlier. I'm pretty sure it's been different driver versions too. I hesitated to report it for a while since I had a workaround (using higher quality), and because I hadn't heard of anyone else who is experiencing it.

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Is it perhaps a setting of your video card driver or of the codec?
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

TMarc wrote:Is it perhaps a setting of your video card driver or of the codec?
I changed from "Use the advanced 3D image settings" to "Let the 3D application decide" and there was no change in the bug.

Using different codecs has no effect. As I said, I've tried XviD, Lagarith, and Uncompressed.

eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

eyebo wrote:What's really interesting about this bug is that I had a similar bug during the Canyon private beta in 2011. The only difference is that back then the game was making videos and screenshots too dark (on "very fast" preset) instead of too bright. The developers fixed it though and I didn't have any more problems with it for a long time.
^ Regarding this. I'm fairly certain I was on my old PC at the time. It was a different GPU and everything, so it was surely just a coincidence that I've experienced two similar bugs.

TMarc

Post by TMarc »

hm. Perhaps related to some application you have installed on both PC?
After all this issue was'nt reported by other movie makers, right? :?
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

I killed everything non-system related from task manager and the bug is still there.
TMarc wrote:After all this issue was'nt reported by other movie makers, right? :?
True, but I'm probably the only movie maker who attempts to render videos or make screenshots on the lowest quality in MP. :roflol:

TMarc

Post by TMarc »

then we have something where you can improve now :lol: ;)
Fix
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Fix »

Maybe one of the mediatrack special effects (tonemapping, etc...) doesn't render correctly in low configs setting ? wouldn't be surprising as these are most of the time made for HQ.

Return to “Maniaplanet Reports”