Trackmania 2 on steam / beta question

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

krone6

Trackmania 2 on steam / beta question

Post by krone6 »

I want to play as soon as i can, i'll buy the beta pre order no matter what. My question is if i buy the game from trackmania.com will it come to steam, and if so can i make it a full fledge steam game? (without "adding to your library")

It's not a big loss, i just like to have all of my games in one spot so it's easier to manage. Plus steam is so easy to use and integrates well.
http://trackmaniaracers.com
My up and coming trackmania 2 canyon team. Intentions on expanding to all nadeo games eventually.

Feel free to come in and say hi, it's a casual and laid back team. If you have any suggestions feel free to pm me.
FluffyPancake

Re: Trackmania 2 on steam / beta question

Post by FluffyPancake »

See here http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic. ... 341#p44341 for official response.

I will be buying straight from the developer as well through their main website, you can always add TM2 to stream through the add a non steam game to steam so you can still shift-tab to talk to friends.
krone6

Post by krone6 »

FluffyPancake wrote:See here http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic. ... 341#p44341 for official response.

I will be buying straight from the developer as well through their main website, you can always add TM2 to stream through the add a non steam game to steam so you can still shift-tab to talk to friends.
Oh, if i still get the integration with non steam games then no biggie. That's one main reason i wanted steam oriented games, besides it being on steam to begin with.

Thanks for the help. Though the next 4 days won't go by fast enough.
My up and coming trackmania 2 canyon team. Intentions on expanding to all nadeo games eventually.

Feel free to come in and say hi, it's a casual and laid back team. If you have any suggestions feel free to pm me.
gimpymoo

Post by gimpymoo »

FluffyPancake wrote:See here http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic. ... 341#p44341 for official response.

I personally would prefer to purchase through Steam.

I am surprised Ubisoft have allowed Nadeo to ignore the biggest digital distribution platform on the planet.
BLiNNeMaNS

Post by BLiNNeMaNS »

that's because maniaplanet kinda is a ministeam.
selling 9 titles in the upcoming 3 years.
gimpymoo

Post by gimpymoo »

BLiNNeMaNS wrote:that's because maniaplanet kinda is a ministeam.
I like Nadeo, but it has to be said, this idea sucks.

What about CHOICE?

Let people buy your games from where ever they want to?
krone6

Post by krone6 »

gimpymoo wrote:
BLiNNeMaNS wrote:that's because maniaplanet kinda is a ministeam.
I like Nadeo, but it has to be said, this idea sucks.

What about CHOICE?

Let people buy your games from where ever they want to?
Tell EA that then. Forcing you to use origin instead of steam and other platforms, even if it's a disc.

Choice can't always be 100% open. That's like complaining that every game isn't open source 100%, it wouldn't preserve quality. At times closed source is better. Would you want everyone to just randomly put anti gravity mode on in their servers? It;d ruin the game.

_Junky

Post by _Junky »

Valve does that too : when I bought Left For Dead on disc it forced me to install Steam to play the game.

Also, I'm pretty sure steam wouldn't allow Maniaplanet to be sold on their service since I know they're very touchy about DLC being managed ingame instead of through Steam.
gimpymoo

Post by gimpymoo »

krone6 wrote: Choice can't always be 100% open. That's like complaining that every game isn't open source 100%, it wouldn't preserve quality. At times closed source is better. Would you want everyone to just randomly put anti gravity mode on in their servers? It;d ruin the game.
WHAT?
_Junky wrote:Valve does that too : when I bought Left For Dead on disc it forced me to install Steam to play the game.

Also, I'm pretty sure steam wouldn't allow Maniaplanet to be sold on their service since I know they're very touchy about DLC being managed ingame instead of through Steam.
Makes you wonder what Nadeo are planning regarding DLC for the game?

All I was saying was that MANY prople use Steam and prefer their games on that platform, FACT.

Will some people skip the game because it is not on Steam, like ir or not... YES they will.

It is fine to self publish if your IP is big enough but Trackmania as a PC only IP is still unheard of by millions.

Word of mouth by fans can only help so much.
Retodon8

Post by Retodon8 »

gimpymoo wrote:Let people buy your games from where ever they want to?
Read the official response linked earlier to see Nadeo's reasoning behind this choice.
There are likely also be other issues for them to keep in mind.
Think of what happened to Crysis 2 when EA introduced Origin.
Steam has a set of rules which complicate things for developers, and of course Nadeo has its own set of rules, and so does Ubisoft, and the other parties involved in TM2, not to mention SM and QM; maybe the ESL, stockholders, et cetera.
gimpymoo wrote:All I was saying was that MANY prople use Steam and prefer their games on that platform, FACT.

Will some people skip the game because it is not on Steam, like ir or not... YES they will.
Many people don't use Steam and prefer their games not on that platform, also a fact.
Would some people skip the game if it were only on Steam? Yes, they would.

How many is "many" though, how many is "some"?
Apparently Nadeo have thought about it, and will continue to consider releasing on Steam.
Obviously it's not such an easy decision, or everybody would release everything on Steam.
Retodon8
Sheep happens!

Return to “Trackmania 2”