Compute Shadows – A Technical Title Pack by BigBang1112

Moderator: English Moderator

BigBang1112

Compute Shadows – A Technical Title Pack by BigBang1112

Post by BigBang1112 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKRQBnGSk4

Are your maps still uncalculated since ManiaPlanet 4?
Mine actually still are. :D Though, yours don't have to be!

This new title pack helps you solve old map shadows with additional features:
  • Bulk or single map shadow computation
  • Change MapType
  • Convert maps from older Trackmania games
  • Keep original author
  • Skip problematic maps (unacceptable chars in their name)
  • Safety so your maps won't break (and can be turned off for maximizing functionality)
This title pack is available in two forms for 100 planets:
Compute Shadows (TMAll base)
Compute Shadows Stadium (TMStadium base)
(both title packs have the same functionality)

Also on:
GitHub
Feel free to contribute to translations!

If you have any questions, please see the Q&A first!

Thanks for giving a look at this post, I hope to help you someday. :)
Special thanks to those who will help me reach 10 registrations on both title packs.
Last edited by BigBang1112 on 20 Jun 2019, 18:27, edited 3 times in total.
Creator and competent racer. YouTube Discord
- ENVIMIX (out in open-source)
- Challenge (OUT NOW)
- Leaderboards (OUT NOW)
- Compute Shadows
nighthawk4571

Re: Compute Shadows – A Technical Title Pack by BigBang1112

Post by nighthawk4571 »

Hi BigBang

This promises to be a fantastic addition to our TM toolpacks. :o :thumbsup: ... ;)
I looked at the Q&A's but there's no explanation why you have created two tools.... ? :?:

* Nice video! :clap:

Cheers ..... :pil
Getting old, forgetting most of what I ever learned !
My name is Nighthawk. The 4571 used to be my IQ. :shock:

Admin: http://bagracing.freeforums.org/portal.php
U-tUbe: https://www.youtube.com/user/bvnighthawk
BigBang1112

Post by BigBang1112 »

nighthawk4571 wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 22:53 Hi BigBang

This promises to be a fantastic addition to our TM toolpacks. :o :thumbsup: ... ;)
I looked at the Q&A's but there's no explanation why you have created two tools.... ? :?:

* Nice video! :clap:

Cheers ..... :pil
Thanks a lot for your response!
Two tools if you mean Compute Shadows and Compute Shadows Stadium, both title packs have the exact same functionality, except Compute Shadows has TMAll base and Compute Shadows Stadium has TMStadium base, that's it. :D Though I understand why it can be confusing.
- Challenge (OUT NOW)
- Leaderboards (OUT NOW)
- Compute Shadows
Electron

Post by Electron »

BigBang1112 wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 23:43 Two tools if you mean Compute Shadows and Compute Shadows Stadium, both title packs have the exact same functionality, except Compute Shadows has TMAll base and Compute Shadows Stadium has TMStadium base, that's it.
Unfortunately this doesn't answer the question. Why are there two identical products with different names?
Though I understand why it can be confusing.
It is confusing! It looks like "Compute Shadows Stadium" only allows you to edit stadium maps, while other environments require "Compute Shadows". It looks a little tricky. It's like pulling 200 planets out of the customer's pocket.

You should describe the differences here and in the FAQ. I still don't know which of the two products to buy.

And can I use "Compute Shadows" if I only own Stadium and Canyon?
reaby

Post by reaby »

To access TMall requires you to own all tm2 titles, I guess stadium is intented for those who have not all of the titles...
So you can convert stadium maps...
BigBang1112

Post by BigBang1112 »

Electron wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 11:30 It is confusing! It looks like "Compute Shadows Stadium" only allows you to edit stadium maps, while other environments require "Compute Shadows". It looks a little tricky. It's like pulling 200 planets out of the customer's pocket.
It is tactical so that even those people who don't have 70€ to spare on all envis can convert their favorite Stadium maps. I'm definitely not trying to play with planets, why would I do that, that currency is a pure meme. It's made especially so the tool is accessible for most people possible and so the tool can do the most possible. You obviously then don't need to get Compute Shadows Stadium when you have already Compute Shadows. Compute Shadows is multienvi including Stadium. It's all about accessibility, nothing else. Reaby says it right.

The Q&A is available and always will be only in the title pack itself relative to the actual title pack content questions. I'll put difference information onto main title pack description (if they ever happen to get 10 registrations lol).

I'm sorry but I thought you guys and most of Maniaplanet people already know the issue with multienvi title packs.
You don't know how much blame would I get if I release only one of the versions. Stadium and multienv community is pure split.
- Challenge (OUT NOW)
- Leaderboards (OUT NOW)
- Compute Shadows
Miss

Post by Miss »

Wouldn't you need a special version for Canyon/Valley/Lagoon/Storm too if you want maps to work with those instead of only TMAll? Or does it not matter in that case? (I know that in many cases Stadium is a "special" case for sure :P)
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
BigBang1112

Post by BigBang1112 »

Miss wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 15:53 Wouldn't you need a special version for Canyon/Valley/Lagoon/Storm too if you want maps to work with those instead of only TMAll? Or does it not matter in that case? (I know that in many cases Stadium is a "special" case for sure :P)
Additional Stadium version is a compromise I took between accessibility and ability of the tool. Who would want to switch between billion title packs or handle 4 title packs in their stations costing 1666 planets each?
Finding a perfect solution is impossible unless you want to flood the store with 6 title packs doing the same thing. I don't personally.
I'm planning to do similar compromise for future title packs and I don't think that will change as I think about it for months now.
- Challenge (OUT NOW)
- Leaderboards (OUT NOW)
- Compute Shadows
Electron

Post by Electron »

BigBang1112 wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 23:43both title packs have the exact same functionality
OK, I tried to install both packs. You have to own all TM titles to install "Compute Shadows". This information was missing in the description.
And "Compute Shadows Stadium" only works with Stadium maps (because the maps have to be loaded into the editor). So both title packages don't have exactly the same functionality.
With this information it does make sense to provide two separate titles.

BTW
I installed the Stadium only title. When I click on the Q&A button, only an empty window appears.
When I click on the folder icon, nothing happens. I expected a file or folder picker window to appear.
When I click on the "Compute them all" button, only a countdown counts down, but nothing happens.
Only if I open the editor manually once, leave it and then click on "Compute them all" again, the map is loaded into the editor and the shadows are calculated.
BigBang1112

Post by BigBang1112 »

Electron wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 16:47
BigBang1112 wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 23:43both title packs have the exact same functionality
OK, I tried to install both packs. You have to own all TM titles to install "Compute Shadows". This information was missing in the description.
And "Compute Shadows Stadium" only works with Stadium maps (because the maps have to be loaded into the editor). So both title packages don't have exactly the same functionality.
With this information it does make sense to provide two separate titles.

BTW
I installed the Stadium only title. When I click on the Q&A button, only an empty window appears.
When I click on the folder icon, nothing happens. I expected a file or folder picker window to appear.
When I click on the "Compute them all" button, only a countdown counts down, but nothing happens.
Only if I open the editor manually once, leave it and then click on "Compute them all" again, the map is loaded into the editor and the shadows are calculated.
Well, technically it's the same functionality, file content of the title pack is copypasted with only thing changed in ManiaPlanetTitle.xml:

Code: Select all

<base>TMStadium</base>
instead of TMAll, which is literally pointed out in the title pack name. So, saying the same functionality is correct in my eyes. When I think of functionality, I think of scripts, not the compatibility.

Thanks for the reports, the folder is not functional intentionally because (yes I know I didn't point that one out) it's still Beta (THO u can see it in the menu :D) and it takes additional and not too important effort which currently I don't have much time space to invest in.

I have to admit that I didn't test the Stadium version so I perfectly take that. The issue is that it doesn't ignore non-Stadium maps and because of that the tool stops. I'll try to fix that today.
Otherwise, if I load folder full of Stadium stuff then that works for me just good.

The empty QnA is a rushed mistake by me which I'll fix too.
- Challenge (OUT NOW)
- Leaderboards (OUT NOW)
- Compute Shadows

Return to “Title Packs”